Movie Mondays!

THIS... IS... GARBAGE!!! I couldn’t resist mocking the ‘This is Sparta!’ line. While there are some things that work in this flick, a lot of things don’t, making it border on unwatchable. I read the original Frank Miller material when it first came out, the problem with the movie is it veers a little to close to the source material. The dialog is stilted; none of the characters more than a 2D cutout and for something that supposes to be epic there is a surprising lack of drama. The things that work? The color palette for the film is highly saturated; it makes each scene look very rich and painterly. Aside from that, whether it’s the heavy metal score, the excessive gore or the plastic performances - unless you are under the age of 18 and/or hyped up on testosterone, stay away! If you are just a gore junky, do yourself a favor and see the recent ’Hills Have Eyes’ movies. Choppy cuts, start/stop camera work and green screen backgrounds do not a classic make.
I’m repurposing content by taking my NetFlix reviews and posting them here on the blog. If I could figure out a way to do it, I’d post some kind of link for people to connect and make me their friend on the service. Unfortunately, it isn’t altogether clear how one would do that - so if you know a way, pass it along. In the meantime, I’ve got steady content for at least a year.
No comments:
Post a Comment